Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Peaceful Reflection

"A Peaceful Reflection" watercolor 2009 by Fr Julian
Many visitors of this blog told me they like my watercolors. I am self-taught and consider myself an absolute beginner. Any artist can see many mistakes in my drawings, but others have mentioned that I have developed a particular style which is charming and unique. So far I have painted over 120 different paintings, all of which are visible in my parish website's homepage, scroll down and you'll recognize them right away at:  www.saintfranciscathedral.com
But here is one of my earliest paintings, which is still one of my favorites, entitled "A Peaceful Reflection." I thought of sharing it with you during this Lenten season as it evokes a sense of peace and tranquility, which is so needed nowadays, but has become so rare. The central figure of the crucifix dominates the painting with some buildings in the background and two large trees flanking the cross. However the bright light behind the image of Christ foretells of what is to come, a new life brought about by the Resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment